Monday, April 22, 2013

Troy High School Symphony Strings==>AMAZING!!


Monday==>Good Monday morning to all of my loyal and faithful readers and followers out there in the morass known as cyberspace. I hope that each and everyone had a great weekend because your favorite blogger certainly did. So ... with that positive note ... let’s get started with ...

Billi Pod’s report card on last night’s terrific concert at Avery Fisher Hall ...

While the concert is listed as the NATIONAL FESTIVAL CHORUS, this group only performed for the first half and they were excellent. It was the performances in the second half that literally tore the house down.

First was the DULUTH HIGH SCHOOL CHAMBER  ORCHESTRA, from Duluth, Georgia. They were selected to perform from the participants of the National Band and Orchestra Festival that had taken place earlier.

They played 3 numbers, which were simply beautiful. What a talented ensemble. The audience was very responsive.

Then it was the totally AMAZING TROY HIGH SCHOOL SYMPHONY STRINGS from Troy, Michigan.  

Their program started with the two lead violinists performing Bach’s Concerto for Two Violins, receiving the first of 4 well-deserved standing ovations. The group played 3 other numbers, then 1 encore number in response to the standing ovation from the roaring audience. 

Folks, it was an AMAZING experience, it really was. You all know that I see a lot of classical music concerts (57 in 2012). I can’t remember being so moved and involved in a performance. It is difficult to believe that this group is composed of High School students. Their talent, energy and enthusiasm totally engulfed Avery Fisher Hall.

Yes, the concert was 110% enjoyable, aided by the fact that my comp. seat was in the Orchestra section, row O, on the aisle. I left Avery Fisher Hall with a huge smile on my face.

It was nice to end the day with a smile because earlier I had a scowl on my face as a result of the YANKEE/TORONTO game, which the Yankees lost 8-4 as Ivan Nova again blew a lead and the bullpen imploded. Barf!!

Tonight @ 7:05pm is the first of a 3-game series against The Rays at that wretched disgrace known as Tropicana Field. It will be our ace CC Sabathia (3-1) vs. Matt Moore (3-0).

Tonight’s entertainment event is another classical music concert, this time at Carnegie Hall ...

8:00==>ORATORIO SOCIETY CHORUS AND ORCHESTRA @ Carnegie Hall - “The program is: Britten’s War Requiem.” (concert - complimentary ticket)

According to the press blurb: “Epic, mournful, and complex, Britten's choral masterpiece combines the traditional Latin liturgy with Wilfred Owen's brutally honest war poetry.” Featured will be 3 soloists and the Choristers of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.

Moving on ... 

I know you loyal and faithful readers and followers are all breathlessly awaiting more details on Billi Pod’s plans for his 79th Birthday tomorrow here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, so ... here it comes ...

1. 7.9 Miles By Walking The Outer Perimeter of Central Park

Weather permitting, around 11:00am I will leave PHC and walk up 8th Avenue to 59th Street, the Southern border of Central Park. I will then walk North along the outer perimeter of Central Park to 110th Street, the Northern border (2.6 miles); then East on 110th Street to 5th Avenue (.5 miles); then South on 5th Avenue down to 59th Street (2.6 miles); and, then West on 59th to 8th Avenue (.5 miles). I will then walk back to PHC on West 42nd Street.

I have calculated the mileage from the front door of PHC and back to be 7.9 miles, but I will have my WeightWatchers Pedometer to record the exact mileage, which may be a little bit more than my calculations. If less, then I will just wander in my 'hood until I reach the magic 7.9 miles.

2. Entertainment event ...

My birthday present from me to my alter-ego Billi Pod is a full-price orchestra ticket to the smash Broadway musical THE BOOK OF MORMON @ 7:00pm at the Eugene O’Neill Theatre on West 49th Street. 

I saw this show in very early previews and totally loved it.

When the show is over I will come back to PHC and then grill one of the awesome Allen Brothers steaks on my George Forman grill, along with a baked potato and grilled onions. I will celebrate the evening with my favorite libation==>Fresca.

So, my loyal and faithful readers and followers, there you have it in probably more detail(s) than you wanted/needed.

Oh ... if the weather is bad then I will simply do the Central Park thingy later in the week.

OK ... this is Monday, so I have errands and stuff that need to be done so ...

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>3.00 miles (or, 5,216 steps)

Total mileage for week==>32.36 miles (average 4.62 miles per day)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>1,383.44 miles (average 4.69 miles per day) 

GO YANKEES!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are completely amazing!!! Have a SPECTACULAR time on your BIRTHDAY!!!! Sounds like a wonderful plan!!! Wish I could come walk Central Park with you!! Can't wait to hear about the play, as well!!! ENJOY!!! Your walking completely amazes me! I doubt I know anyone who walked that far in a year!